All Photos posted on this blog unless otherwise noted were taken by me with my Canon Rebel XTI using a 300 mm zoom lens

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Birding Without Going Birding


Steller's Jay

I used to go fishing quite often and still go a couple times a year, but have concentrated most of my leisure time to birding now and that time seems to have diminished quite a bit in the last couple of years. One reason I always give for changing hobbies is, I have never been skunked birding.

This week Nery and I took Nery's sister Liza who lives in Japan and Nami, one of her English students and two of our nieces on a tour of the Bryce Canyon area which included Bryce Canyon, Red Canyon and Grand Staircase in Southern Utah. Since this trip was dedicated to them I didn't do any actual birding other than what I saw on the trails as we hiked. But even then I did see quite a few birds and picked up a new Life Bird, White Breasted Nuthatch. Unfortunately I was unable to get pictures of Nuthatches but got a few of other birds.
Steller's Jay were the most cooperative to have their picture taken. Steller's Jays in the park seem quite habituated to people.
This is a poor picture of a Yellow-rumped Warbler
Gray-headed Race of Dark-eyed Junco
Western Bluebird
In all birds seen were:
Common Raven
Turkey Vulture
Dark-eyed Junco
White-breasted Nuthatch
Mourning Dove
Bullock's Oriole
Steller's Jay
Western Bluebird

Here are some other pictures from the trip

Chipmunk
Bristlecone Pine
Bristlecone
Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel 
Mule Deer
Indian Paintbrush
If you would like to see more pictures of our trip you can view them on our Picasa Photo Albums at
https://picasaweb.google.com/stevecoleman1155/BryceCanyonTrip2011


2 comments:

john said...

Great Steller's Jay photos Steve. I was puzzled by one thing, interior west races of Steller's Jay have bold white marks on their heads. Your birds look like the darker, coastal birds which lack white on their heads. Could these be juvenile birds? What do you think?

Steve's Bird Blog said...

John
I beleive you are correct I think they are juvinle birds. As always thanks for visiting my blog.