All Photos posted on this blog unless otherwise noted were taken by me with my Canon Rebel XTI using a 300 mm zoom lens

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Some Time for Birding


It seems like it is getting more difficult to get time to go Birding. I did a Cub Scout workshop yesterday so I took off work a couple hours early so I could get some birding in first.
The Great Egret that has been hanging around this winter is still there
Here is a list of the birds I saw yesterday at Farmington Bay:
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
The Great Blue Herons are nesting now.
Northern Flicker
Gadwall
Bufflehead
Mallard
Pintail
White-crowned Sparrow

Song Sparrow
Killdeer
American Avocet
Red-wing Blackbird

American Robin
Marsh Wren
American White Pelican
American Kestrel

Canada Goose

Northern Shoveler

Cinnamon Teal
Green-wing Teal
American Coot
Eurasian Collared Dove
Pied-billed Grebe
Red-tail Hawk
Northern Harrier
Sandhill Crane
European Starling
Black-billed Magpie
California Gull
American Wigeon

This Morning I took a drive up to Ogden and Bues pond to see the Mandarine Duck that was reported. Though Mandarine Ducks cannot be counted because they are not established in Utah and are most assuredly result of escaped pets they are becoming more common. I did see it but unfortunately he wasn't in the mood to have his picture taken, and I was unable to get closer that about 75 yards. He is hanging out with the Wood Ducks and even seemed have a female companion.
Birds seen at Bues pond were:
Mallard
Gadwall
Wood Duck
Mandarine Duck
Belted Kingfisher
House Finch
Black-capped Chickadee
It was good to get out and I will make a point over the next couple of months to get out more often.

1 comment:

john said...

Eurasian Collared Doves made it into the southwest after I moved to Alaska. Somehow I have never managed to see one. Great photos, and list of birds. I guess you will be getting a lot more soon.