All Photos posted on this blog unless otherwise noted were taken by me with my Canon Rebel XTI using a 300 mm zoom lens

Friday, October 2, 2009

OCTOBER BIRD OF THE MONTH LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE














October's bird of the month is my birdn blog mascot, the Loggerhead Shrike. One of my favorite birds. The little "butcher bird" nicknamed for it's habit of impaling it's prey on a thorn to store for later use. Yes this bird keeps a supply of food for when times are lean. This passerine that looks like a song bird is actually a fierce hunter taking prey from insects to small reptiles and birds.



1 comment:

john said...

Hey Steve, I just read over your life list. I'm impressed by how many sea ducks, and European strays you get there in Utah. I've seen all of my sea ducks, and European strays here in Alaska. Judging by the fact that you live in Utah, and got some lifers in Nauvoo, you must be Mormon. So am I, and I have plenty of relatives in Utah. It's way too hot for me down there, but I'm jealous of some of the birds you get there.