All Photos posted on this blog unless otherwise noted were taken by me with my Canon Rebel XTI using a 300 mm zoom lens

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Heard Often But Seldom Seen
















There are two birds that I hear often in the marsh but rarely see because they hide in the cattails and rarely make themselves visable. These two birds are the Virgina Rail and the Sora. I have seen Rails many more times that Soras in fact I have only seen Soras on two occasions and never close enough to get a good picture. During the Bird Festival there was a very cooperative Rail in the Cattails right next to the Nature Center at Farmington Bay. I stood and listen to him cluck for about 15 minutes and then out he came. First he poked his head out then eventually came all the way out and I was able to get some nice pictures. Now if I can just get a Sora to cooperate I will be happy. Here are some of the pictures I got of the Virgina Rail.





Enjoy





1 comment:

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

I love how you are able to identify the bird just by how he sounds, even though you hardly ever see him.