All Photos posted on this blog unless otherwise noted were taken by me with my Canon Rebel XTI using a 300 mm zoom lens

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Beautiful Singers Of The Sparrow World
















Several years ago as I was hiking up to Delicate Arch I heard a bird singing one of the most melodious songs I had ever heard. I looked at it through my binoculars and saw a beautiful little bird with a black throat and white stripes on it's face. I search my field guide hoping that I had spotted some exotic warbler and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that what I was looking at was a sparrow. It was a Black-throated Sparrow and a new life bird for me though which I was happy for. As a beginning birder I hadn't yet gained an appreciation for sparrows.
This weekend my family and I returned to Moab after 3 years of missing our favorite vacation spot (check the link for Steve and Nery's Hobbies blog to see more pictures of our trip) I was hoping this time to get some pictures of Black-throated Sparrows. I was not disappointed I saw several but had a difficult time getting a picture. Finally at The Windows Arches I got one to be cooperative and got several shots, though the light was not too good.
I didn't really get any time to dedicate to birding but did casually look for birds while we did our other activities in addition to Black-throated Sparrows I saw; Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Rock Wren, Says Phoebe, Common Raven, Western Kingbird, Bullocks Oriole, Yellow-breasted Chat, Red-tailed Hawk, Turkey Vulture, House Sparrow, European Starling.
I used to fish now I bird because I never get skunked birding.

No comments: