All Photos posted on this blog unless otherwise noted were taken by me with my Canon Rebel XTI using a 300 mm zoom lens

Thursday, January 1, 2009

January Bird of the Month "Merlin"











I had been trying to decide what bird I would select for this month's Bird of the Month, it wasn't until this afternoon that I decided. While driving home from my parents home today in Kaysville, Frank and I stopped by Kaysville Pond for a few minutes and saw the usual great birds but nothing new. As we drove east away from the pond I saw a bird on top of a power pole, at first I thought Kestrel but as we go closer I realized it was not. There seems to be an increase of Merlins sighted in the Salt Lake Valley this winter and sure enough our bird was a Merlin feeding on a rodent. I was able to get some nice pictures and decided to make the Merlin my "Bird of the Month".
The Merlin is a small falcon of northern forests and prairies, the Merlin is the least well-marked of the American falcons. It is becoming a regular breeder in urban areas and seems more common here in Northern Utah during winter is recent years.
Description:
Small Falcon. Long, pointed wings. Long, banded tail. Faint mustache mark. Brown streaking on chest and belly. Back unmarked gray or brown.
Size: 24-30 cm (9-12 in)
Wingspan: 53-68 cm (21-27 in)
Weight: 160-240 g (5.65-8.47 ounces)
Sex Differences
Sexes similar, but male smaller and gray on back, female brown.
Sound
Call a high "kee, kee, kee.
Conservation Status
Expanding breeding range and may be increasing in numbers.
Other Names
Faucon émerillon (French)Esmerejón (Spanish)Pigeon Hawk (English)
Cool Facts:
The Merlin does not build a nest, but instead takes over old nests of other raptors or crows. It sometimes nests on top of domed magpie nests rather than in the nest cavity.

No comments: